There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any courser like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
Emily Dickinson, The Poems of Emily Dickinson



Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Poet Slave of Cuba: A Biography of Juan Francisco Manzano


Bibliography:
Engle, Margarita.2006. THE POET SLAVE OF CUBA: A BIOGRAPHY OF JUAN FRANCISCO MANZANO. New York, NY: Random House. ISBN: 9780307583079

Review: Margarita Engle writes the moving biography of the famous poet Juan Francisco Manzano. The biography details Juan's early life, as a slave who yearns for freedom and education. At times, Juan finds joy and solace in other's words. At the same time, Juan also begins to develop a talent for reciting poems and for creating his own poetry. At other times throughout the novel the reader is made aware of the harsh realities of slavery like when Juan's master discovers him looking at her books she reacts by locking Juan in a cellar with a piece of charcoal in order to remind him of his hopeless situation. Through each of the novel's hopeless situations, Juan is able to do the impossible; by holding dear his love of poetry, Juan is able to endure the pain of of his past and present and hope for a better future. Told in free verse, this impressive biography is difficult to read, but at the same time extremely hard to put down. Readers will be intrigued by Juan's story and enthralled by his unceasing hope for a better life.

Excerpt: “Juan''

My mind is a brush made of feathers
painting pictures of words
I remember
all that I see
every syllable
each word a twin of itself
telling two stories
at the same time
one of sorrow
the other hope

I love the words
written with my feathery mind
in the air
and with my sharp fingernails
on leaves in the garden

When my owner catches
a whiff
of the fragrance
of words
engraved in the flesh
of succulent geranium leaves
or the perfumed petals of alelĂ­ flowers
then she frowns because she knows
that I dream
with my feathers
my wings

Poetry cools me, syllables calm me
I read the verses of others
the free men
and know
that I'm never alone

Poetry sets me aflame
I grow furious
dangerous, a blaze
of soul and heart, a fiery tongue
a lantern at midnight.

Introducing the Poem:
Due to it's realistic account of the realities of slavery this book is best presented to an older audience such as students in higher middle grades and high school students. Engle's biography would be great in a classroom environment for a lesson on slavery. Also, for an English class, students could use Engle's biography as a resource for a project or the instructor could create an entire lesson revolving around The Poet Slave of Cuba. The Poet Slave of Cuba is a realistic and though provoking story that gives readers a glimpse into Juan's amazing life. Those that read Juan's story will finish Engle's biography wanting to know more about the inspiring poet Juan Francisco Manzano.

No comments:

Post a Comment